U.S. Military Veterans deserve to be taken care of in a professional and caring manner. If you are a veteran or surviving spouse in need of home care service, then the Aid & Attendance pension benefit may be for you. And the best part? This benefit never has to repaid and is completely tax free!
What is the Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit?
The Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit is a supplemental income offered to U.S. military veterans over the age of 65 and surviving spouses by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). It is paid in addition to a veteran’s basic pension.
The pension is meant to help those who require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing and transportation. You may also be eligible for this benefit is you have a non–service connected disability.
What Are The Qualifications?
- Veteran or widow of veteran
- Require home care services
- Have a countable family income below the limit set yearly by law
- Have medical condition not related to military service
- Wartime veteran with 90 days of active duty service
- Veteran was honorably discharged
- Veteran served at least one day during one of the following wartime periods:
- World War I: April 6, 1917, through November 11, 1918
- World War II: December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946
- Korean War: June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955
- Vietnam War: August 5, 1964 (February 28, 1961, for veterans who served “in country” before August 5, 1964), through May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990, through a date to be set by Presidential Proclamation or Law.
How to Apply for Aid and Attendance
The application process for the Aid and Attendance pension benefit can be a daunting and confusing task. The application requires a significant amount of information and the form must be completed accurately and in a timely manner. Audubon Veterans’ Services understands the process and we are here to help. By answering a few simple questions we are able to determine your eligibility for the A&A pension benefit. Click HERE to for our online Application Form.